Saturday, October 15, 2011

Hex's Story Part 1

The morning of September 26th will be a day that is burned forever into my memory.. I was at work and an email came up on my phone that a dog had been stolen. My heart sank. The email was from my brother. I started to dial but my phone rang before I could dial. The missing dog was Hex. 

 Hex was not just a sport dog he was family. He was a friendly greeter to whoever came by he was an ambassador with a tennis ball. He was the father of my young dog Chaos. He was a companion on many trips that my brother and I went on to show our dogs. He had represented the United States twice in world competitions and was the first dog from the United States to Pass an IPO FH in a world competition. One of the competitions I had the honor of holding the American flag as team captain. It was one of the proudest moments of my life.

I immediately called my wife and when I got off work I drove to my brothers to help search. It was a horrible rain that day. Friends and I searched for the next several days to no avail. On Saturday October 8th I was driving to training early. As I arrived to my brother’s house I encountered a highway worker going hurriedly toward my brother’s house. They told me to come look in the ditch. It was hex. My sister in law came running and I grabbed her as she got close and hysterically started crying. She was screaming my poor baby Hex. I called my brother and as other club members arrived and we called the police. 

 To many this would be the end of the story but it is actually the beginning. There is much more to this story. The journey of hex coming to my brother’s house as a dog that his owner could not control to a national champion and an international representative of the United States is an interesting story. Hopefully as I tell his story during the investigation we can keep his memory alive until you all help us write the final chapter.

 To be continued…